Wednesday, October 8, 2008

OMG, like, ANTM is totally on!


It's Wednesday night, which means America's Next Top Model is on. Watching that show feeds your brain about as much as a Diet Coke. I won't even get started on the fact that the girls don't actually become a 'top model' but disappear into the abyss of D-list stars and are rarely heard from again. Or the fact that brands like CoverGirl are blatantly advertised throughout the show, not to mention at the beginning of every commercial break. Commercials are annoying yet accepted as a part of the TV experience, but product placement in a TV show really irks me. It seems like I'm wasting an hour of my life watching superficial girls cry about nothing and bitch at eachother while being advertised to. If I wanted that kind of experience I would pay $5 for a book of ads called Vogue magazine.

Alas, I have a point:

Is it just me or is Tyra Banks a complete fake?

She has a great message about loving yourself and your body just the way it is... but it seems to me that that message was concocted not out of humanitarianism but out of a need for television viewers.

I can just imagine a team of people behind her thinking this motto up in the wake of her 'fat' pictures surfacing. And I bet they didn't create it to inspire worldwide confidence in teenage girls but $$$ in their pockets.

That is my food for thought. And eat it up, Tyra would want you to.

3 comments:

Marina said...

Would she? Because I remember one season she actually called a girl out because she was "eating too much".

The season where they went to South Africa and posed as animals.

paper_thrower said...

you're right. but that was before the 'fat' pictures. and she had to find a way to defend herself.

Anonymous said...

i wanna bang her